For this week’s instalment of 5Qs and 5As, we’re sitting down with one of France’s most unique sneaker collectors – @fanamss. Read name Fanny, the sneaker collector has been accumulating pairs for as long as she can remember. An avid sneaker fan, Fanny has one of the most diverse collections we’ve seen in a long time. The reason why? Not buying into the hype but simply buying a shoe because she likes the way that it looks.
In the conversation below, we’ll get a closer look at just what keeps Fanny’s collection growing, what her favourite pairs are and why she does it. Also, make sure that you follow her Instagram as we’ll be running a special promo for her followers for this weekend only. Without further delay, this is 5Qs and 5As with @fanamss.
Hi there, thanks for sitting down with us today. Can you please introduce yourself?
Hello! My name is Fanny, I’m a 31-year-old sneakerhead and I’m a mum to a little boy of 11 years old (who also loves shoes!). I’ve been passionate about sneakers since my childhood. It’s funny, but as a kid, I had a pair of sneakers with luminous soles which I used to put on a run around my room at night. Like most kids, I didn’t have a huge collection because I wasn’t earning my own money yet. I was always looking forward to my birthday and, of course, the famous “back to school” pair!
Can you please tell us the top five pairs in your collection?
My top five pairs will be quite unusual. I don’t really follow all the hype trends; I choose my pairs based on the way they look, their comfort and, most importantly, because I like the model or colourway. Currently, I would say my top five are:
1. Nike Air Force 1 Low “Beach” – I really like the comfort of the Air Force 1 in general, but the different materials and colours used on this pair are amazing to me
2. Air Jordan 1 High OG “Fearless” – I love the patent leather effect and colour combination on these AJ1s. The milestone in MJ’s career is also a great story!
3. sacai x Nike Vaporwaffle “Tour Yellow” – I was sceptical at first, but once on foot, it was love at first sight
4. Stüssy x Nike Air Force 1 Low “Fossil” – The hemp material used on this pair is so original. Stüssy and Nike collaborations are always well done, with this being no different.
5. Air Jordan 1 Mid WMNS “Dark Beetroot” – Although the materials used on the Mid are not as good as they are on the High, the colourways, charms and laces give this pair a really unique look that I like a lot!
Is there a certain shoe or moment that triggered your passion for sneakers?
My passion for sneakers has always been an important part of my life – it’s felt like a need! It may sound crazy, but the happiness and excitement I get from a new pair still feel so real. Instagram also allowed me to love pairs again that I had forgotten about. Up until last year, I had fallen out of love with Jordans but now, I love them again! Accounts like @aude-julie, @celouuuuuuuu and many others influenced me a lot and I am so glad.
Do you think that the sneaker community/culture is sexist?
Of course! Ever since I started wearing sneakers at a young age, I’ve always been described as a “tomboy”. It’s only thanks to women wearing sneakers more recently that things have started to change for the better and that’s great. However, there is still much more to be done. The fact that some pairs are still only available in men’s sizing is not cool. This also goes both ways and many men would like to have certain models or colourways that are only released in women’s sizing. I hope that this changes soon.
Other than sneakers, what other kind of shoes would we find in your closet?
My cupboard is around 95% sneakers. For professional reasons, I had to wear heels, but I also have boots etc. If at the professional level the image of sneakers could evolve, that would be perfect!
Make sure you check out @fanamss on Instagram where she’ll be running a special promo for her followers on KLEKT this weekend!